Articles on this Page
- 11/12/12--10:20: _MobbDeen: The Video...
- 11/30/12--14:34: _360 —“Own Thing Rem...
- 01/02/13--10:19: _MobbDeen: The First...
- 02/26/13--09:23: _Greetings From Gary...
- 03/21/13--11:35: _Shots Fired Episode...
- 06/11/13--12:08: _Freddie Gibbs & Pro...
- 06/13/13--12:21: _Freddie “Soprano” G...
- 06/17/13--17:56: _Video: Freddie Gibb...
- 06/26/13--06:00: _MobbDeen: Freddie G...
- 07/01/13--18:22: _Freddie Gibbs and t...
- 07/11/13--08:01: _Gangsta Gibbs & Gif...
- 09/03/13--11:01: _Freddie Gibbs & Mad...
- 09/23/13--10:41: _Freddie Gibbs & Mad...
- 10/04/13--12:00: _Strangle Holds: Flu...
- 11/05/13--10:00: _MobbDeen: Freddie G...
- 12/04/13--08:06: _Deuces Wild: Gangst...
- 02/19/14--00:24: _Spitta Andretti’s D...
- 03/18/14--00:11: _The Most Villainous...
- 04/11/14--02:20: _Gangster Nouveaux: ...
- 06/30/14--16:09: _Young Thug, Freddie...
- 11/30/12--14:34: 360 —“Own Thing Remix” ft. Jadakiss & Freddie Gibbs
- 03/21/13--11:35: Shots Fired Episode 21: Ballin’ w/ Freddie Gibbs
- 06/11/13--12:08: Freddie Gibbs & Problem –“187″
- 06/13/13--12:21: Freddie “Soprano” Gibbs
- 06/17/13--17:56: Video: Freddie Gibbs –“Eastside Moonwalker”
- 06/26/13--06:00: MobbDeen: Freddie Gibbs’ Evil Seeds Grow Naturally
- 07/01/13--18:22: Freddie Gibbs and the Art of Laying it Down
- 07/11/13--08:01: Gangsta Gibbs & Giftz – Money Making Mitch
- 09/03/13--11:01: Freddie Gibbs & Madlib Get Deeper
- 09/23/13--10:41: Freddie Gibbs & Madlib Go to Harold’s
- 10/04/13--12:00: Strangle Holds: Flume & Freddie Gibbs
- 11/05/13--10:00: MobbDeen: Freddie Gibbs – Still Livin 2…
- 12/04/13--08:06: Deuces Wild: Gangsta Gibbs & Young Chop Connect
- 02/19/14--00:24: Spitta Andretti’s Drive In Theatre
- 03/18/14--00:11: The Most Villainous: Freddie Gibbs & Madlib Break the Piñata
- 04/11/14--02:20: Gangster Nouveaux: The Return of the Bayou, Perm, Set and 50 Cent
- 06/30/14--16:09: Young Thug, Freddie Gibbs & A$AP Ferg Walk Into a Bar
Deen stays ’bout it. Hey there. It’s your resident Freddie Gibbs stan again. Call me biased, but Baby Face Killa hasn’t left the rotation since it dropped. But you already knew that. In any event, Fredericko decided to shoot a video for one of my favorite tracks on the mixtape – “BFK.” The second I… Continue reading »
If I was a rapper with a budget, I would fork over cash for features to only a few: Freddie Gibbs, Gunplay, Roc Marciano, Kendrick Lamar, or Schoolboy Q. Even when those guys mail in a verse, it still somehow sounds better than 99.9 percent of their peers — so much that I am contractually… Continue reading »
Deen’s been sleeping so much he started getting carded again. Hola. Hope you enjoyed the holidays. I didn’t – being crippled and all, but that ain’t your problem. Guess it’s back to the grind again for all of us. And by “all of us” that means Gangsta Gibbs too. You must have been insane to… Continue reading »
“I’m seeing killers cry…with tears in their eyes.” “I know Mike liked motherfucking fried chicken. I know that for a fact. Finger licking good.” I never understood the Gibbs is boring slander. He remains the funniest interview I’ve ever had. No one gives less of a fuck and no one does better imitations. Ask to… Continue reading »
In what might be the appropriate guest for a podcast named Shots Fired, we had Gangsta Gibbs on this week’s episode. Since Freddie is on the short-list of both best rappers breathing and most knowledgeable sports fans, it seemed only natural that he would help us break down the history of athletes trying to rap.… Continue reading »
Gangsta Gibbs has laid low for most of the year. But as Chance the Rapper said, everyone dies in the summer, so it’s fitting that he’s returned to the warpath. MadGibbs is finished and ESGN is imminent. And on a day when Kendrick and Q drop one of the hardest songs of the year, Senor… Continue reading »
For rap music’s sake, let’s hope that Gangsta Gibbs never finds peace nor serenity. There is something pure and cathartic about watching him spit ferociously over soul beats. Freddie Soprano calling others Big Pussy. What I love about Gibbs is that every song is essentially filled with subliminals at his enemies. He has never assimilated… Continue reading »
For someone whose music is theoretically the furthest thing from fun, I have a lot of fun listening to Freddie Gibbs. This makes me want to moonwalk into the nearest liquor store and rob it. The title is obviously the nod to the most famous Gary native of all-time. Gibbs may have already topped Janet… Continue reading »
Deen is already preparing for his June 27 Celebration. If you’re a longtime Freddie Gibbs’ fan, you definitely detected a slight difference in his demeanor while he was with Young Jeezy’s CTE. One could say that he was a bit “friendlier” and it was reflected in his music – which wasn’t a bad thing, given… Continue reading »
As I Tweeted yesterday, I listened to ESGN at the gym and after 45 minutes was asked to leave for trying to stick up the Gatorade machine. Gibbs dropping arguably the most hardest video since “We Outchea.” That killers on the payroll music. Other ESGN videos below the jump. Deen’s review is here.
Jordan Pedersen has not seen Paid in Full, but he was a big fan of ER. The degree to which a rapper is freed from the need to say much of anything is in direct relation to how good said rapper is at rapping. Understandably, many rappers overestimate the latter, and things get off-balance: A$AP… Continue reading »
The odds of Freddie Gibbs delivering audio dope when he starts a song off with the word “Slamming,” are even higher than the winning percentage of a regular Gangsta Gibbs song — or even higher than gangsta Gibbs himself. The second time I ever interviewed him, I smoked three blunts in one hour with him… Continue reading »
Part of Gibbs and Madlib’s campaign to get people to no longer rely on KFC. We all know the chicken is mostly worthless there and the sides are what it’s all about. Harold’s is a Windy City institution, but with no LA branch — this offers me no context. I will say that there are… Continue reading »
Will Hagle has seen you’ve played knifey spooney before. Flume’s self-titled debut album was released less than a year ago, but the SoundCloud comments on the LP’s re-released, revamped “Holdin’ On” dismiss it as old. Even Flume himself lists Flying Lotus, now essentially one of his contemporaries, as one of his major influences. The Australian-bred… Continue reading »
Deen is not berserk. Gangsta Gibbs never really gives us much time to breathe. To quote that now boring, but still genius white nigga, “rap feels so empty without (him).” At least for those of us that still dig gangsta rap. I dunno about the rest of you muthafuckas. Thankfully, Gibbs works really hard to… Continue reading »
Will Hagle blames Young Chop for getting “Guap” stuck in his head. Gangsta Gibbs. Young Chop On The Beat. Retrospectively the greatest, most unexpected soundtrack possible for the Mike Tyson v. Evander Holyfield fight. The build-up to the inevitable biting of the ear consists of standard Gibbs hook-and-verse brutalization. Violence on violence. Gibbs verbal pummeling… Continue reading »
Max Bell also enjoys the New Beverly theatre. After 30 plus projects, summarizing and/or describing the tropes of Curren$y’s music seems futile. The kush is from L.A. and the wax is from the Bay. The kicks are dead stock, the finest vintage. The money, classic cars and women keep moving. I know, you know, and Curren$y… Continue reading »
Max Bell is not against rap or those thugs. Freddie Gibbs rose from scary Gary to Interscope refugee to widespread critical adoration. Some argue that the dexterous Gibbs can rap well over anything. Yet his last album, E.S.G.N. received mixed reviews. The album was solid, but it was also what you’d expect too. It didn’t help… Continue reading »
I’ve spent a significant part of the last few years taking the death of gangster rap for granted. The narrative that I’ve run with tracks the rise in popularity of artists like (duh) Kanye West, the explicitly fake Rick Ross, and Drake, and the concurrent fall of Young Jeezy, the disappearance of 50 Cent, the… Continue reading »
“My jewelry gold like the tokens at Chuck E. Cheese.” Quoth semi-professional gemologist, Jeffrey Williams. Thug raps like he’s only been eating weed brownies, Strawberry syrup and soda and molly for the last six months. His insides probably look like rotting pumpkin, but his raps are box cutter sharp. Wayne is the most obvious analogue,… Continue reading »